Saturday, September 18, 2010

in the beginning...

Years ago, when I created the concept for Take Turbeaux Too! I had no idea how it would come to life, what form it would take, or IF it would even come to be. The story developed in my head soon after hurricane Katrina, after witnessing one of the largest animal rescue efforts in our Nation's history.

It amazed me, frustrated me, disappointed me, to see how many animals were left behind. It also frustrated me to see some that were taken with their owners, yet had no "social skills"; no clue how to travel, how to be an "inside dog", sleep in a crate, live in a hotel room or apartment without barking constantly; and some to learn to be walked on a leash. Mine were so acclimated to traveling that they never gave it a second thought. The three months that were outside of our home were much easier on the Shibas than on me. I whined, they didn't. I felt guilty about them being crated more than usual. I felt guilty about them not having a yard to romp in. But they were fine. I had to trust in them.

The thought to leave them behind never entered my mind. If I go...they go. Period. No discussion. No debate. No option. I remember at some point I whispered to Turbeaux:

No matter where we go
No matter what we do
of course we will always
Take Turbeaux Too!

And thus the journey began....

I had no clue how to go about writing a childen's book. And if I sat down and planned it out, it probably wouldn't have happened. I just let it work itself out. A wonderfully talented Animal Illustrator, Kellie Schneider, literally fell in my lap. I wanted the book out for the Summer of 2010 yet did not have a Publisher. So I went to a local printer that does alot of printing for the company I work for. They worked with me on the production. And social media has helped me get the word out.

If I really sat down and thought about this whole process it would have been overwhelming. But instead, I trusted Turbeaux (again) and let it just evolve into what it would become and let it take on a life of its own.

My sincere hope is that this book will get into schools, and places where Turbeaux can educate children into proper animal care. And IF they are faced with having to leave their home...for ANY reason...they can tell their parents:

No matter where we go
No matter what we do
of course we will always
Take Turbeaux Too!

1 comment:

  1. This book Looks so cute! I plan to get it for my Birthday or christmas I'll read it to my B&T shiba inu Saya.

    I lived in Gretna Louisiana for 20 years of my life going through Katrina was scary we stayed with our dogs and kept them safe. Sad that so many were left behind. I hope this book helps people out.

    I might get a few extra ones to donate to the library that would be great for kids in Lafayette to read it.

    Thanks for making this book my one year old shiba Saya will love listen to it.

    ReplyDelete